peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

26 July 2006

Children

Update...
At last I made it and told my boss about not being here next Friday afternoon...I don't really think he understood, though...his mind was already somewhere else, so I guess it will be a surprise for him to see me go on Friday at twelve and not come back at two...
I feel slightly better today, after the horrible day yesterday. After all, it looked (it still does) like some after-the-apocalypse scenario, and it felt just as bad. We cannot go in or get out unless we have the key, because the main gate does not open, the ground is covered in white dust, the men working to clean the mess are aliens in grey masks and dirty blue suits, we will be without electricity all afternoon (which is good news, really...it means that at 11 we go home and we don't come back till tomorrow), the boss and the head of production are nervous and snappy...But it's incredible how things are being sorted out.
All the same, yesterday I went meet Nadia's baby, Daniele, 6 months old, and what a beautiful happy baby! It laughed, played, called for attention all the time but in a funny way, not crying or being loud like most children do. He looks like he's receiving all that he could ask for, and by the way his parents behave with him I can see how: they're crazy for him. Who would't be? If you don't madly love your own baby you cannot be human. And this makes me think that my neighbours, then, must come from some other planet...I'm surrounded by aliens! The way they treat their children, they always have...scream and shout and punish and mistreat and swear. I don't understand. Obviously, but then not so obviously, the children grow up and find it normal to treat their own children the way they were treated before. A few things I don't understand:
- family number one had 4 children. Ok, ignorance of the existence of methods not to get pregnant, together with what may be religious belief (but I've never seen them go to the church in 20 years) could be the reason of all these births, unless they really wanted four screaming brats to stuff into their super little house.
- first daughter gets pregnant at about 20(? - can't remember her age): do we call this ignorance again? Because she obviously did not want to have any baby as far as I can see: she mistreats and shouts at him, swears all the time when he, well, behaves like a child does, and she definetely is not prepared to spend her spare time with him, on the contrary, whenever she can she just leaves and goes out with friends. Maybe it's just me, but I would try to put things together, and surely in a week you can go out with friends and stay with your child without feeling sacrificed. And then again, if you really wanted the baby you would appreciate every moment of being with him/her, especially when they are so small and every day there is something new to share (words, stories, songs, whatever).
I don't understand.
Enough thoughts on a subject that shouldn't interest me that much, considering that after all I am the last person who can speak about it, being a childless single. And quite happy to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home