peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

05 June 2007

The restless sleep; inside NY City's cold case squad - Stacy Horn

Ok, I bought this book because I had read some enthusiastic review from a fellow blogger, and me being fascinated by crime and investigation, I thought I’d give it a try. I read the whole book on the train from my town to Trieste and finished it there.
You know? I only wanted to finish it and begin another book, something more interesting, better told, something good.
I’m not saying it was completely bad: I have already judged it, but on second thought I’d take away that 7 and give it a 6+. Let me explain why.
The book is divided in three parts: “Catching the case”, “Banging on doors” and “The blue five”. So, it begins with the description of some murders, proceeds with the investigations, ends with the how the cases themselves were (or not) solved and ended up in a tribunal when possible. There are interviews to the main “stars” who formed and were part of this Cold Case squad in New York, and there are figures on crimes, murders, dates, details on bureaucracy and all that. Now, all this stuff made the book extremely heavy and boring. Frankly, and it’s only my opinion, I don’t care to have all those figures thrown in front of me while I’m reading of how a murder happened and what the detectives did, to be told that this detective did that, then that detective came in, then this other decided to pass the case here, then this squad was renamed like that, and blah blah blah. It interrupts the flow, and not in a good way either, it just makes me want to skip all those boring pages and go back to the main story. And I had this feeling at page 5….not a good sign.
In the end, and one more time, never trust: reviews on newspapers; reviews on the cover of the book (“There is rarely a dull page”, said “The Baltimore sun”, but I doubt we’ve read the same book); reviews of fellow readers, unless they are your friends and you have more than 3 books in common (Lady friend was not sure about buying “Middlesex” because nobody on Internet BookShop had liked it, whereas she found it beautiful, and so did I, and we think those people on IBS should reset their judging system).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home