peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

31 August 2006

I am electric

I am electric.
I mean it.
I can't get used to it, whenever I get off my car and touch the door to close it, I get electrocuted. And sometimes it's so heavy that the F-word is my first reaction...and not only that.
Apparently I shouldn't wear trainers.
I think.
I remember somebody on a radio show talking about it some 10 years ago, when this thing never happened to me so I sort of filed the information away in my mind. Now that I need it, the layer of dust on it is so thick I can't get through. Anyway.
May it depend on my mood? And the way I feel everyday when I go to work? Because I like my job, really I do. It's not particularly exciting, some might say, but it's not too messy either, so there are surprises, but they are manageable, and this makes me feel good. Of course I've only worked here...9 months, but it does feel comfortable. The only bad thing is...my boss.
I must say that he is a nice man, kind and even funny when he is in a good mood, and I like him because he treats us decently and doesn't force us to work extra hours or to transform our jobs into somebody else's job (examples: boss number one, Bergamo 2004: not only should I have been a secretary, but also a sales(wo)man to find a way and sell all the boss' awful useless books; boss number two, Valley 2004: job description just like this, only here I do what the description said, there I had to be a secretary-sales(wo)man-archivist-accountant-receptionist-etc-etc...and work at least nine hours a day).
But.
This doesn't change things: my boss is extremely moody.
So moody that it can bring me to tears when he explodes, and his being in a bad mood early in the morning throws me into total depression and suicidal feelings; and if they aren't really suicidal feelings, at least they are serious thoughts of finding another job.
Example: order confirmation for a customer. Several orders from the customer included on the same page. Same products, though. I put the same product and divide the quantity according to the number of the order for their reference. He disagrees. I must divide the product according to the number of the order, thus repeating the name of the product on two different lines.
Guess what: this is what I had done before going on holiday a month ago, and he had decided that I should have put the product altogether, simply dividing the quantity in brackets for their reference.
Example: this week the secretary is on holiday. Before leaving she tells me that I have to start filing all the emails and faxes, both on computer and as paper. I am told the same by the boss' wife. I even have to come here and work two days while on holiday so that I can start the filing job and when we get officially back to work I will have less to think about. So I start filing.
The boss then tells me in an angry fit that I mustn't file anything, that I have to do only my job and my job only, and that the secretary will file the stuff when she comes back. Ok then. The morning after he asks me where all the emails and faxes are that we have received in August while closed for holiday. They're in the computer ready to be filed, I say. So? He asks. So they have to be filed away, I repeat, and I wonder whether I should stress the fact that HE told me I shouldn't do it so HE is responsible for the missing documents in our network.
The point is, I like my job but my boss makes me extremely nervous.
I am nervous, therefore I am electric.
That's just it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home