peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

04 September 2006

Dilemma - part one (because I don't have time to say all that I should say about this subject)

I have started considering the possibility of another job. This is crazy.
I have little time to analyse my feelings about the current situation, but I'll try.

The pros:

- close to home
- good working hours
- good working hours: decent amount of spare time for myself
- good pay. No, I mean very nice payslip every month
- and all that comes with it: insurance, contributions, etc etc.
- not a nutty farm: lots of work but manageable, lots of days when I have absolutely nothing to do
- decent colleagues: at least sometimes we have a laugh, which helps a lot
- lots of sunshine: we have huge windows and get a lot of light all day long
- lots of holidays: three weeks in December, three in August, a couple of days for Easter and so on.
- quite an easy job: I have learned and am still learning, but lots of things are already clear and I can do them well. They are always the same but there is always a twist, so I can never be bored.

The cons

- moody boss: it is difficult for me to relate with authority, being this stubborn and convinced I am always right. I know however that I am new to this job and I'm trying to be humble enough and understand when I'm doing wrong. For example, I am terrible at maths, therefore I count hundreds of times and check on the calculator to have everything sure. I also know I am easily distracted, so I try to pay all my attention on every little detail not to make mistakes. However, a moody boss means that nothing is good for him, because he will always change his mind over what has to be done, i.e. nothing I do is ever going to be ok, even if I do it the way he wants, because by the time it's ready he will have changed his mind and all I can expect is to be told off.
- moody boss - part 2: he corrects my English. This is something I rarely tolerate. Particularly when his English is so awful. He certainly knows the names of every chemical compound in English, but as for grammar and the rest, I rule! And I cannot stand being corrected over things that I know are right, if only because I've heard them thousands of times, and pronounced by native speakers.
- type of job: not exactly what I was dreaming of. I mean, I do use my knowledge of foreign languages, and I don't do things that I don't like (as in I'm not an accountant or forced to be one, I don't deal with invoices and this sort of stuff, I don't have to sell things or spend the day on the phone - which I hate). Then again, the percentage of people who get to do what they really like is superlow, so why should I be among the lucky ones? Particularly since I'm not very talented, my few capacities being my speed in reading, my good English and decent Spanish and French, my elementary German and obsession for order and numbers - which I cannot count, I mean I'm terrible at maths, especially if in a stressful situation, like when I'm questioned by my boss...; but I have a great memory for figures, if that can help. It certainly helped in school during history lessons...
I'm not great at computer, I mean I know what I need to know...

But what I'd like to do is: books. Being among books, with books. A library, a bookshop, something of the kind. I have learnt more about the filing system at the library in a month that the two idiots who have worked there for five years. Why is it that I've never considered a degree in those subjects that could have taken me to work in a library? Somehow I have never thought about libraries because I have rarely spent my time there: I buy books, or borrow them from friends, and libraries (except the two I have attended while in the UK) are a messy place with only the oldest books. Or the most boring, the least interesting. And I could see that there is a reason: if everybody thinks the way one of the two idiots think, we're screwed! She said that housewives are their best customer, so the most common books (and most bought) were stuff from, I don't know, Rosamunde Pilcher, Danielle Steel, uhm, who else? I DON'T KNOW!!! I DON'T READ THOSE THINGS! When I was asked to write a list of books to add in their monthly order, I took the chance to increase the amount of quality books, so I got Joyce Carol Oates, John Irving, some McEwan, Jonathan Coe...
(I'm not saying that Rosamunde Pilcher &Co. are not quality books...but actually yes, I am! This sort of books is boring, useless, unimaginative, I mean banal, and again, USELESS!!! )
(How do I know?...I confess that I once read the comment on a book from Pilcher, I must have been 13, and it seemed interesting, although I guess it was because it was set in England and at the time it was my biggest dream. So I went to the library and got it and started reading it...Page 15, and I mean it, I was asleep...)
I didn't want to change the world, but there's no wonder when teenagers or young adults don't go to the library much, when there is no offer for them!
Anyway...I'm always bitter on this subject, it bugs me that I should be here and work on things I'm not exactly keen on, and illiterate idiots (who pronounce "quiche lorraine" the way it is spelt, and who don't know who Emily Dickinson is...) can do one of the nicest jobs in the world.
I remember watching "The Hours", and a spark lit in my mind when the character played by Julianne Moore says that she worked in a library for 20 years (or such)...and I started thinking, I wonder what degree she had...and if a normal degree in literature would do to get a job in a library...When I went on Internet to find such a job in the UK, however, they always required a degree or similar in library science...So I thought maybe I would get it.
It's just too bad, though: when I think that working here can give me the possibility to have my own house, and a second degree in whatever subject I want, ideas melt before my eyes: literature, cinema studies, library science, anthropology, what? And what am I going to do with another humanistic degree anyway?
Maybe I should marry a millionaire...
Any volunteer?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home