peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

19 December 2006

Christmas Cookies!

Baking time last night...It started with me and my simple idea of the cinnamon cookies, but as the mix needed to rest in the fridge for an hour I thought I would do something else while waiting, so I also prepared my "rocks", alternative version, with coconut and jam..It took me two hours to finish all, and the final result was satisfactory; I went to bed smelling cinnamon all around the house, and when I got up this morning the scent was still there. Beautiful; just perfect Christmas.
And luckily the holidays are getting closer..
Now, I thought I'd write down the recipe, which is so easy and "quick" (well, ok, you have to put the mix in the fridge for an hour, but that gives you time to do something else, right?).
Here we go then:

PEGGY'S CHRISTMAS COOKIES

What you need:

100 g honey
100 g sugar (cane sugar would be better, but white is just as fine)
100 g butter (unsalted, obviously)
350 plain flour
1 pinch baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
cinnamon (Ok, adjust the amount of spices according to your taste, of course: like, the recipe says 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon, but I usually put a loooot more…)
1 large egg (whole)

What you do:

Melt au bagnemarie sugar, honey and butter; leave to cool.
Mix flour, baking soda, ginger and cinnamon.
Add the blend of sugar-honey-butter, then the egg. Mix well, form into a ball, wrap in film and put in the fridge for about an hour.
After an hour it’s ready to be rolled onto the table and cut into pieces – I make big hearts, because I am romantic, and these are the cookies dedicated to my friends...But it’s Christmas, so maybe…stars? Trees? Just hey, don’t make them too thick, ok?
Put them in the oven, 180°-200°C, for 6 minutes, more or less. It depends on how big or thick they are; but 7 minutes are more than enough, trust me.
In the meantime you can prepare the gloss to cover them with: cold water and icing sugar (you don’t have icing sugar? Make it: take -some spoonfuls of- caster sugar and put it in the blender for some thirty seconds), mixed well together, and brushed over; then you can add fancy decorations (or not) and finally leave your creations to cool for an hour or less.

Yummilicious!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home