peggywrites

Mental Chaos, or: A Confused Collection of Thoughts.

31 January 2007

No news good news

So, what’s going on in my life…

First of all, genius brother did not pass that interview/test. Obviously they decided to hire somebody who was already working there, therefore making the whole thing look ridiculous…welcome to the world of recommendations, everybody! Of course genius brother is quite new to this world, whereas elder sister aka Peggy knows what life is when it comes to jobs…which is why I have never applied to publishers around here, and have lost any hope in finding a job where they would hire me for what I can do, not for the people I know or the graduation mark I got (which is not splendid, I confess. But then again, lots of people who’ve graduated with a higher mark can barely speak two words in English in spite of it having been the subject of their degree….oh, a long story here, let’s proceed with what I was saying).
Anyway, genius brother is a bit angry (more for wasting time and money – and not going to work for two days, where he could have taken 2 days off for a more productive reason) and possibly also sad and dissatisfied. If he’s a bit like me, it’s when it comes to daydreaming about a better life, where we have a job we really like and a house that is ours and is comfortable and we can do what we like. Well, I was considering that he lives in a beautiful city, with a job that gives him a whole lot of spare time (they work till 4.30, I must have mentioned this), where, a year after he started, he’s already advanced and is getting more money, plus, a real bonus to me, sometimes they “send” him to schools and companies to teach IT, and in those occasion this woman comes and picks him up, drives him wherever he needs to be, takes him out for lunch, drives him back…and since they’re becoming friends, they may be possibilities that she gives him a hand in advancing further in his career. Plus, he lives in this pretty flat, with a wonderful view of the beautiful mountains, five minutes by bike from his working place, the bus stop right outside the door, and the city offers a great amount of things to do (especially compared to our small town…). I mean, WHAT MORE DOES HE WANT???
But it’s my acid me speaking here. I wish I had a better job, and yet the only place where I could apply and have a chance would be the UK. And I cannot go for the time being, what with the house that will be and parents will need a hand, what with my mother who would be left alone with father, what with…holy crap.
It feels like I cannot leave and I cannot go. Which reminds me of an episode of “Law & Order” which I saw a couple of days ago. Too bad when fiction resembles my life so much.
However, look at the following ad:

Duties will include dealing with the general office administration i.e. post, petty cash, telephone calls, stationery and generally keeping the office running smoothly. You will also be involved with taking in corrections to page proofs, checking layouts for accuracy, liaise directly with clients, authors, editors, designers and image libraries; answering questions and solving problems. You will also be involved with picture research on the internet, organising and assisting at photo shoots and researching competitions, writing blurbs and creating AI`s for clients. The successful candidate should be of graduate calibre, have good computer skills with excellent organisation and communication skills. The ability to multi-task and work on your own initiative is essential as is an excellent eye for detail and the ability to work to deadlines.

The good thing about these requirements: they are all things that I can do. Easily. Plenty of experience (if you exclude the phone part, because, as I mentioned before, I’d rather send pigeons with messages tied to their pretty little legs than pick up the phone and call).
The bad thing about these requirements: they are all things that ANYBODY can do. Easily. Little experience? Training and “exercise” will make up for it.
Oh, well: I am going to send my cv anyway.

What else is going on…nothing much, really. I’ve been extra training again at the gym, yesterday, being full of energy, so I could run and do everything and I feel good. I am going to run tonight too, and tomorrow more gym, without the S&S guy who’s away, but it’s ok. He’s very sweet when he comes over to chat at the beginning of the training and he takes my hand. I am a physical person, in that I like hugging people, and I have vices like caressing peoples’ hair, so I like it when people do the same with me. Anyway.

I am also looking for English courses for genius brother, who wants to spend a month in England this summer and follow some intensive course. I will have a good excuse, then, to go to England one more myself, if only to accompany him there, and see him well. We may convince him to come with us to London for a weekend, in March.

Last but not least, I will let things calm down a bit (with genius brother, I mean. It would not have been nice to ask him about it today, right after being disappointed for the fake interview) and in a couple of weeks I plan to have my laptop. Plus, tomorrow I will have my own copy of the project for the house that will be, and I can start planning the furniture and look around to find what I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home